Preventive measures against computer viruses
There are many types of viruses found in Microsoft Windows. First, let us know what a virus is. There is a very simple definition for understanding the viruses. A file or exe that the operating system does not recognize and that file or exe takes space on the hard drive are called viruses.
The viruses can spoil your important files on the computer. Even your computer motherboard can be affected by these viruses. However, you must protect your computer from the viruses. There are several ways to save the computer from the viruses. Let us discuss regarding those precautions and methods to protect your computer:
1. Never plug in a USB flash disk into your computer without first running a virus scan because flash disks are one of the main ways that viruses enter a computer and can multiply, spoil other files and hence damage your important data. It is estimated that 60% of viruses enter personal computers by flash disks.
2. Avoid reading email from unknown senders that have attachments. Batch files or archives such as zip or rar files may contain malicious exe files that could cause damage to your system when run.
3. Do not download data from unreliable resource because many websites can share viruses or advertising software along with the download. If it is an option, try to download data from the original website.
4. Do not download files with the following extensions: .com, .doc, .lnk, .pif, .scr, .vbs, .exe from unreliable sources.
5. Whenever you install the operating system in the computer after completing the installation of the operating system, try to install an antivirus program immediately afterwards. Whenever your computer connects to the Internet, their is a possibility that viruses can enter from different gateways.